Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Bring It On

Breathe… and suddenly you are light as air.

As most of you may know, there’s nothing like a good dose of family to humble your “higher Self”!

It has taken me over 20 years to learn not to take my mother-in-law’s comments personally, but that is not to say I’m still not challenged by her visits. Anyone who knows her can tell you she’s a high-energy, not-to-be-ignored, force of nature (including Betty, herself!). But, I don’t want to elaborate on the laundry list of conflicts I can create in my head, today I would rather focus on the moments in-between.

I have found that certain relationships in our lives seem to be built around the idea of teaching us who we are. All relationships serve this purpose to some extent, but for some reason, certain dynamics seem to really reach deep – and if we’re open enough – can really expose us to some valuable information.

First of all, one thing I do know is as long as I am of this earth, I will NOT find myself fluttering above it all on gilded wings. As much patience and acceptance and compassion and understanding that I may discover I possess – there will always be times of anger, frustration, annoyance, disappointment and resistance. What I do hope to find more of, is the ability to observe myself experiencing it ALL - as I watch myself judging others who judge; as I watch my heart softening in a moment of compassion; as I watch the hissy-fit rise up from my gut, just begging for a tantrum; as I watch myself listening patiently to another’s words filled with negativity and fear, knowing we all can go there.

So, while my dear mother-in-law will, no doubt, continue to expose me to my own frustrations and shortcomings, she is also teaching me to lighten up - “have a giggle” at it all. And, well… I would call that progress, wouldn’t you?

Find your breath, lighten up and bring it on.
Cheers!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love this ;o)
I'm also "enjoying" observing myself :o\
A giggle is good :o) -- definitely "progress" ;o)
Kate... :o)

Anonymous said...

Yes, relatives or close friends can always bring us back to ourselves. In good ways and not so good ways. Honest reminders of who we relly are. A yoga teacher said to me a criticism and compliment are the same. I think she meant, we should receive each in the same way. We will learn from each. Life is a journey of knowledge.

TM said...

Yup. :)

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Se você quiser linkar meu blog no seu eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso.(If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada.If he will be possible add my blog in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).