Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Faith - Not for the Faint of Heart

Believe... and suddenly anything is attainable.

Everyday I wake up with the unshakable faith that when I swing my legs over the side of the bed, the floor will be there to support my size sixes, my weary knees, my dropping arss, my stiff shoulders and my bed-head. I also trust the water will come out when I turn the knob to brush my teeth, the coffee pot will work, and my car will start. ALL of this “knowing” before I even rise from my sheets.

What is this drive behind this powerful faith? Is it history, past experience? Optimism? Law of averages? Expectations? Technically, we’re all intelligent enough to know that just because something happens once, doesn’t necessarily mean it will or won’t happen again. Isn’t this the very thing that drives our disappointment? When our expectations fail us? Consider Richard Alpert, aka Ram Dass on the morning he awoke and FELL out of his bed due to the stroke he was having. Imagine his fear then anger and finally his road back to resolution and his own faith. We’re talkin’ RAM DASS here folks, dubbed so by the Maharaji, and author of many spiritual texts.

This drive, this kind of faith in knowing the-chair-will-support-us-when-we-sit-down, is a powerful faith. It can disappoint us for sure, but the very same faith can also give rise to manifest. It can drive us to make things happen in our lives and in the world that could never be, otherwise. The power of this faith to create life and living and beauty can go beyond our wildest imagination – but why stop there? Believe, if you dare… it’s not for the faint of heart.

Peace and Sat Nam.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Ram Dass dubbed so by the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi"? You got confused, ma'am, the two have probably never met.

Lady Guru said...

hey chico,
thanks for setting me straight! that should read "Maharaji" i did in fact have the two confused.

Lady Guru said...

hope you enjoyed the post, regardless of my faux pas on the fact...

Anonymous said...

what is the difference between faith and trust? and is it really necessary for us to live a happy life? Is not faith and trust just a concept we have come up with to keep us hopeful that whatever we are in, if we don't like it, is going to get better? And when we are in a "happy time" do we have the same faith and trust that it will then not be so happy later?
I don't even think they are real, concepts that is. I feel like it is more like we know what we know, and we don't know the rest.
I know what I know, it is real in me, yet sometimes what I know is so large and encompassing that I invalidate it because it seems in my head that there is no way I could know it. So, again that old ego doing its brilliant reverse psychology job on me.
Lately I am up to remembering what I know, and allowing that. Call it a deeper faith or learning to trust, I am not sure, but it feels truthful and happier.