Wednesday, September 10, 2008

River of Knowledge

Awaken… and suddenly you have met your truth. Create your own, brighter dawn!

We tend to think that in order to feel accomplished, whether it be in our career, relationship, health, with our children or inner self, we need to be finished or done with something. This idea tends to make us feel complete… for the moment. Every time we reach another milestone, we delude ourselves in believing we have “arrived”, leaving ourselves open for disillusion and disappointment. Of course we are never finished or done. There’s a reason it’s called a “journey”. Everything in our lives has the potential to wake us up … over and over and over again.

As I walk this path, step by step I have come to understand that every moment is an opportunity for learning or awakening. Every action, every thought, every intention I put forth in the world, brings with it powerful potential for growth. My own Lady Guru continues to remind me over and again that we are never “finished”. The lessons cycle back to us continually until we become masters at the art of learning. Hence the phrase: “River of Knowledge”… continually flowing, and as Alan Watts says: “You cannot understand life and its mysteries as long as you try to grasp it. Indeed, you cannot grasp it just as you cannot walk off with a river in a bucket. If you try to capture running water in a bucket, it is clear that you do not understand it and that you will always be disappointed, for in the bucket the water does not run. To 'have' running water you must let go of it and let it run."

Perhaps the “knowledge” is not about “having”, but about seeing, and being in the flow of the awakening, the learning in every new moment.

Sat Nam.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it!
When you get a chance, google Zeigarnik Effect.
Love you

Anonymous said...

sat nam kajisan,
You are so on with this. I have never had the thought about the river and bucket, but wow, the first thing that happens, is the water would become stagnant if you left it sitting in the bucket, so to keep it flowing, we have to let it go. Just like our lives, stay in the flow, letting things go, I get it, I love it.
A couple of days ago, my 17 year old daughter said, she realized today, how much she rushes from getting one thing done to the next, always with a feeling of rushing, to "get it done" and move on to the next. And she said, "you think you will feel good when it is done, and you do for a minute, but then the other things flood into your mind, and you realize you have that much more to do, and it never ends. So, I am not going to worry anymore about getting it done, I will just go along as it does."
Yep, it is the journey, and I constantly remind myself just that as my "to do" list begins to take on a life of its own, owning me, and I realize, does it all really matter if I am not enjoying the ride?
love,
dejisan

TM said...

This is one of your best! You continue to surprise and impress me! I am going to add a portion of this to the "thoughts" I read every morning so I remember to stop rushing! Love you!