Friday, June 13, 2008

Creating Valuable Space

Expand… and suddenly you can’t ignore your own vastness!

Regarding mental clutter, Shri Brahmananda Sarasvati said: “Without space, creation cannot take place. When you purchase a house, you purchase the space, which is surrounded by the walls. The more space, the more valuable the house. You cannot think anything if you have no space within your mind. You cannot welcome any guest in your house if you have no space within your house. You cannot receive any thought from outside if you have no space within your mind.”

I love the way this analogy really drives it home for me. I find when I look upon the times that I am feeling stuck, whether in work, relationship, or in any unfavorable reaction that may arise in a given day, I can see it relates directly from my over thinking and mental spinning. When I think of words that define a positive and receptive state of mind, it makes sense that they come to me as: “clear” and “open”. There truly is a feeling of “spaciousness” when my inner and outer worlds are in harmony.

My clutter always comes with a story. If I were to look at it clearly, I could, no doubt, trace it back to old belief patterns that try to convince me that I am right. It will tell me that I have all the information to assess whatever situation is before me and all that information is true, therefore, I need not take it further. This can show up by way of a casual conversation, planning my day, driving to the store, cooking dinner – in short, my daily life. So because of these beliefs driven by personal historical content, I become closed and unreceptive to any new perspective. But, by keeping an “open” mind, I can “clear” my mental space. In Buddhism, they call this “beginner’s mind”, which now provides room for “new guests” – even if they seem familiar – to roam or rest in the expanse I have cultivated by dropping the history. More space… more value!

Sat Nam!

3 comments:

TM said...

I REALLY like this post. I've been trying to de-clutter my house, but I need to de-clutter my mind, too. Thanks for the reminder! Much love, Toni

Anonymous said...

My mother was a clutter bug, or just too depressed to do dishes for a week. I took the other tack, needing SPACE in my space, and for years lived without anything on the shelves I could not reach. Not that I have a bigger family, that is not possible. But I work hard to keep space in my life--work three LONG days instead of five short ones, take time off several times a year, all that. It is a priority to have the SPACE within. Great post! R

Anonymous said...

Thanks Lady Guru for a post that really hits home. I think I do pretty well with decluttering my personal space at home, but need lots of work with my mental space. I am guilty of constantly over thinking and cluttering my mind with the "what if" scenario's instead of just allowing things to happen, and being open minded to the possibilities. As always, thanks for your thoughtful insight.
Mary