Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Nothing To Fear But Fear Itself

Be Fearless… and suddenly you are supported by your own strength.

A friend of mine once told me she read somewhere: “Fear comes from not trusting that we can handle whatever comes our way.” and, even though on some level I know it, this quote stopped me in my tracks.

All my life I have been a consummate worrier. My family even nicknamed me WW (Worry Wart) when I was young. Give me something to worry about and you could bet I would, and if there wasn’t anything immediate, I would create something… hence, all my life-long “what ifs”.

FDR reminds us “We have nothing to fear but fear itself.” Fear is a concept based on something that hasn’t happened yet. It exists in our minds when we are not present in the moment. We can fear for our success, our health, our wealth, the safety of ourselves and loved ones and ultimately our lives… but, generally speaking, those are all concepts, ideas of how we think something might unfold.

Yet, even so, to sit with that fear and trust that we will “handle” whatever comes our way is a tall order, but I like to call up the analogy that “darkness cannot survive in light”. We fear what we do not know, cannot see or understand. The nocturnal forest is filled with shadows and gloom and all kinds of unforeseen circumstances, but as the morning sun filters through the trees, lighting our way, we know that nothing has really changed but our perspective.

I look to my Lady Guru to light my way with the trust and strength she brings me in knowing that I can and will “handle” whatever comes my way.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually I may go out on a limb here about fear. When you are careening down that ravine, you are not actually in a state of fear, but absolute total presence! Aren't we actually at that precise moment of engagement simply using every single bit of ourselves to take care of that situation? Our adrenaline is pumping, we are with razor sharp attention and in that exact moment, whether we are in dire straits or whatever, we are present.

It is afterwards that the fear releases. It is then that we begin to play the tape over and over and realize just "how close we came" or what "could have happened" or even worse, what might come. So, I believe the fear factor is when we are in the past thinking of what could have happened, or in the future of what may come but in that exact moment, we are literally fearless, because we are
actually dealing with what IS.

think back to that last time you were really scared, walking to your car at night in a dark alley, or waiting for that verdict to come, is what you were feeling fear or worry of what might be coming? which of course we have no control over to most degrees. We can be mindful, get a friend to walk with us, stay present and alert and with the gift of that presence, wow, we use our energy to stay in the moment.

I have had times when I am fearful and recently realized it is stuff deep in me, the fear of being so open or close to someone that I "may" be rejected or later abandoned if I share my feelings or love. Also, loving someone else so much, the fear of loosing them, yet when I am present to the truth of that relationship I can see where I am either clinging or not allowing life to flow. And then I see exactly what the "fear" is.

I don't have all the answers, but I am learning everday and living fearlessly is definately more fun, as we all know.
thanks for this one Karen, it is something we can all chew on.

Anonymous said...

Yoga has helped me with my useless fear.The older I am getting the more fearful I have become. I now know I can break. My lifestyle puts me in situations that challenges my physical being. I live on a large boat in a large anchorage. Sometimes by myself. It can make me fearful. [I am taking a respite. I moved to shore for 3 or more months. No I have not feared out. I will be going back.] Fear does nothing to help. It hinders me. Jumping boat to boat and things like that can be a little unsettling. You can't hesitate in mid air. You have to jump! Yoga has improved my fear issues. I have confidence I never had. It has removed my fears and keeps me in the moment. Not just with the boat thing. With everything. I try to live in the moment every moment. Good topic.

Anonymous said...

It is so funny. I just picked up the new Yoga Journal and opened to a article that is all about fears. I remembered this post and thought you would be interested. Page67.Titled, Befriend your fears. Check it out. Peace.

Lady Guru said...

ahhh, i love when that happens! it confirms for me that i'm tuned in. synchronicity abounds!

although i am grateful for magazines like Yoga Journal, Shambala Sun and Trycicle, that reach a broader mass - i rarely get the chance to read them.
thanks, Barbara - i hope you've enjoyed your double dose on "fearlessness"!

blessings, k