Thursday, June 28, 2007

Perpetual Vacation

Play… and suddenly the whole world is recess.

I think, for most of us, in order to feel as though we are really worthy of a good vacation/change of scenery/different perspective, we need to feel like we’ve worked our tails off. Especially, those last couple of weeks leading to our up-coming “off” time. We hustle and bustle getting our projects completed or at best, to a good stopping point so others aren’t left carrying the load; confer with the neighbors about pet sitting and plant watering; arrange for rides to the airport; pick up those last much needed items you don’t want to be searching for once you reach your destination… all the while thinking, “I can’t wait to get on that plane – hit the road – the beach –the slopes – the hammock…” Anticipation abounds! You’re GOING somewhere!

Like the title of Jon Kabat-Zinn’s book says: “Wherever You Go, There You Are” - in my other words “You Can’t Escape Your Self”. So, why then do we continue to choose to compartmentalize our lives? - Over there I’m happy, here I am not. Fridays are good, Saturdays are better. - I think it is only when we can rest in true acceptance of who we are, however that is and wherever that is, the vacation mentality can be a perpetual state of being.

We all have access to a change of scenery or new perspective right here within us at every moment. By allowing ourselves to play within that realm, blurring the lines, if you will of bad/good or better/best we loose that sense of needing to “get away” and “recess” becomes a regular part of our lives!

1 comment:

Nan Patience said...

Great post, I just went through the getting ready for vacation gauntlet myself!

Other cultures are better at living lives that incorporate a little bit of vacation as they go, as you describe. I think the Europeans are generally better off in this regard. Productivity isn't revered quite as much, their working hours reflect the fact that work doesn't equal life itself, and they have plenty of vacation. Of course, that lifestyle now allegedly threatens their future, but I still prefer it to the way we go about things. But then I would.