Thursday, November 1, 2007

On Time

Live now… and suddenly you are experiencing every moment.

The last date in October has been marked off. It is November 1, and another calendar page is turned, another month begins, another demarcation in the passage of time - time, this idea of linear movement that brings us from one point to another in history.

My daily work is driven by deadlines, (external AND self-imposed) like most of us. I am always staggered when I think of how much of my life goes by without having even been in it – always working to get somewhere, create something, finish something, plan something, remember something… just so I can move on to the NEXT something. I am writing…now…I am thinking of my next word, I am typing, I am watching these words take form from my thoughts…all so I can finish and post. But, I see I am also taking a moment to stretch, pet the cat, look up a word, grab another cup of coffee, glance out the window to see who’s rushing down the walk to work. Wow! There’s so much going on! I notice the light change in the room as the sun rises, the quietness of the morning wearing off as the traffic builds.

But, I digress…

At “times” this concept of “time” feels like a hindrance to me, filled with limitations and boundaries I struggle against. This tool of measurement to create order out of chaos only seems to create even more chaos. So, in light of this may I suggest, as we rush into the holiday season - take that moment when our hands are on the steering wheel, on the keyboard, writing the shopping list, washing the dishes, brushing your child’s hair – and just simply “notice” it.

As I close this post, I want thank you all for being with me as I write, even though I will have moved on the NEXT something by the time you are reading this…!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

With you in this moment...Robin